June 13, 2013

Work for hire – Newborn baby hat – Bear

My mom has recently retired – read, left her job as a teacher and started working at a jewellery store.  This is awesome for me because I can buy myself awesome diamond studs for a ridiculously inexpensive price tag.  Oh yes.  It also became awesome for me because one of her co-workers had a friend having a baby.  She wanted a baby-bear-hat made.  Mom offered up my skills.  So for the first time ever, I made something that was not for me / anyone I know. 

How’d it turn out?  Well, it’s fine.  I had a few issues with the pattern.  1. the sizing is all wrong.  I ended up going to a K hook and doubling the yarn (ie. Crocheting with two strands) and am STILL shy on the width.  It’s close enough now, but really?  Come on.  2.  I just don’t really like it that much.  I guess this is the joy of working for a “client” you make what they want – rather than something you’d like to make. 

cute enough, but not really my style.

So, the outcome?  I sold something.  That’s interesting enough.  Would I do it again?  Sure… as long as it wasn’t too hard.  Will I love it?  No.

No comments: